Stop 16: The 1916 Bank of Dade City
This Bank of Dade City at 14215 7th Street at the corner of what was formerly known as Cherry Street (now 7th Street) and Meridian Avenue was built in 1916. At the opening, visitors were served lemonade and ice cream and each woman was presented with a large Killarney Rose and men, were given a trendy cigar at the well-attended open house. Music was provided by the Zephyrhills City Band.
The building’s solid brick and cement structure featured a Spanish style with large columns in front. The interior included white herringbone tile on the floor. To the right of the entrance was an office partitioned off with marble as well as in the location where the teller’s apartments were placed. The back a stairway led to the director’s room which was located over the vaults which were made of reinforced steel that were entered through heavy steel doors.
Clever advertisements in the Dade City Banner and the Tampa Morning Tribune encouraged folks to take out home loans and stash their hard-earned funds in the bank. Weekly notices offered ingenious ideas for real estate purchase and managing one’s funds, while assuring the population that their money was safe and secure. The short life of Bank of Pasco ended in 1926 just a ten-years into the location’s history. With the collapse of the Florida Boom in real estate investment, the bank closed for a few days and despite a run on the bank, it reopened two months later. In 1928, however it failed, prior to the Stock Market Crash. Some attempts were made to reopen the bank but they never came to fruition.
The building was remodeled in 1936, and has housed Rophie’s Department Store, the Army-Navy Store, Rainbow Travel Agency, Quilts on Plum, The Dirty Heifer Salon; Boutique, and more.
A peek inside the 100+ building provides insights into a bygone time era. The regular parades which were essential in Dade City history for Christmas, the high school homecoming and other occasions, always passed by the bank, and can still be viewed from this strategic Dade City location.
A recent occupant of this structure was Quilts on Plum The recent owner of the business Donna Lillibridge explained, “Quilt stores are a destination, and Dade City is a wonderful place for a quilt store.” Certainly, this solid building that housed the Bank of Dade City is a work of many merchants over time.
Just reflect upon the incredible daily events, conversations, and discussions that have taken pace in this building which has served an abundance of needs over one-hundred years in age? The notion would make a beautiful quilt.