Search
Close this search box.

Stop 70: The William Glenn Lester Park

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Print
Email
AUDIO NARRATION*
Copyright © 2024
READ MORE

Lester Park is near the south entrance to Dade City. 

 

 As you travel into Dade City on Highway 301, you may traverse 6th Street just north of Southview Avenue to Coleman Avenue and see a small apex configuration that serves as a cozy little park.
A small piece of land was donated to Dade City Woman’s Club by William Glenn Lester and Hazel Harris Lester. The Dade City Woman’s Club subsequently donated the land to Hollyhock Circle of Dade City Garden Club prior to 1983; and in 1983, the Dade City Garden Club donated the land to the city The original land donated by William Glenn Lester and Hazel Harris Lester was appropriately named Lester Park.

 

     William Glenn Lester arrived in Dade City in 1947 when a new Lipham and Lester Brothers Incorporated Supermarket was built. Glenn was a co-owner/manager of the supermarket. As for the partner’s name of Lipham, Joyce Tilden Lipham and William Glenn Lester were in-laws as J.T. was married to Glenn’s sister, Lois. L & L Supermarket was incorporated in April of 1944 and they purchased the City Market owned by Ed Sumner in 1947.

 

     William Glenn Lester was elected a city commissioner in 1951 and served as Mayor from 1953 to 1958.

 

     A Blue Star Memorial Marker was dedicated at Lester Park to commemorate veterans of Dade City in April of 2007 also recognized the newly planted freedom garden in honor of Battery B, 2nd Battalion, 116th FA of the National Guard.

  • 1941

    William Glenn Lester married Hazel Elizabeth Harris in Plant City.

  • 1944

    The Lipham and Lester Brothers Supermarket Incorporated began in April of 1944.

  • 1947

    The Lipham and Lester Brothers (L & L) Supermarket opened in Dade City with W.G. Lester as General Store Manager.

  • 1950

    Lester was elected to the Dade City Commission.

  • 1952

    Lester was selected as Dade City Mayor, replacing Ed Madill. Lester and wife, Hazel donated the land which turned into Lester Park to the Dade City Woman’s Club who named it Lester Park. (Subsequently donated to the Dade City Garden Club who donated space to the city of Dade City).

  • 1963

    L & L Supermarket closed. Lester served as a U.S. Department of Agriculture Inspector.

  • 2000

    William Glenn Lester passed away.

  • 2006

    Dade City Garden Club was awarded a grant from the Principal Financial Group Civic Development program entitled “Let Freedom Ring."

  • 2007

    The placing of a Blue Star Memorial Marker at Lester Park Freedom Garden was dedicated (Memorial trees included plantings in honor of Alexander P. Cameron, Pat Douglas; Sallie Edwards; Pamela Filley; Kimberly Keith Garner; Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Hale; Randy Dean Hall; Catherine Deal Henrich; Sandy Anderson Koone; Herb Lipsey; Zachary Alexander Kung; Alexander McClain; Aaron Henry Reppard; Andrew McClain Riddaugh; Austin McClain Riddaugh; Marjorie Stearns; Amy Jo Sumner; David Ward; and Selina Thomas Watson).

TOUR STOPS:

FEEDBACK

Donations

By donating to the Dade City Historical Guided Tour, you are helping to ensure the continued education of our city's beautiful history. We appreciate any and all contributions!